Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Surreal

Reading Sonya Hartnett's Surrender was a real eye-opening experience. This book may not appeal to everyone coz it isn't an easy read, but at the heart of the story is an intriguing protagonist whose state of mind is under constant attack and the reader is never certain whether to believe him. I certainly had a hard time reading this novel but I'm glad I did coz it gave me the opportunity to see things in a different perspective, a complex and complicated state of mind, not entirely sound, but not unsound too. Hope you know what I mean. At every stage of the story you are never certain of the reality that is happening. Surrender by the way is the name of the dog of the protagonist, Gabriel. If you are looking for a challenging read, this is one title you should have a go at.

No comments: